Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a meal on its own or a nice side dish. You decide.
Make and share this Buckwheat Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup buckwheat groats, roasted (kasha)
- 1 3⁄4 cups filtered water or 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 leaf lime, sliced very thin
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons green onions, diced
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Place water or stock in a 3 quart pot and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Add buckwheat, cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook until kasha is tender and liquid is absorbed, approximately 15 minutes.
- Gently fluff with a fork and place in a large mixing bowl.
- While buckwheat is cooking, place 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a medium size sauté pan on medium high heat.
- Add garlic, lime leaf and red bell pepper, cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently, adding small amounts of water as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add to bowl with remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Add a handful of rinsed and chopped kale and 1/2 cup of cubed tofu while cooking buckwheat.