Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 8 hrs
Cook 6 mins
A delicious old recipe similar to sourdough and perfect for the gluten intolerant. Keep 1/2 cup of batter to use as starter for the next day's pancakes. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Heat the milk and add boiling water.
- Cool to lukewarm and dissolve the yeast cake in mixture.
- Sift in enough flour to make a batter thin enough to pour.
- Let rise overnight.
- In the morning, add the dissolved soda, molasses and salt.
- Heat a greased griddle until a drop of water skitters across it.
- Cook pancakes and serve hot with the syrup of your choice.