Recipe by Roosie
American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Shaw's Fancy in Annapolis, Maryland.
Top Review by kelly in TO
I made quite a few changes, but still wanted to leave a note about these delightful scones. I used spelt flour instead of all-purpose, an olive oil based butter and oats. The buckwheat flavour came through SO nicely! and I loved the texture of the oats. Next time I will absolutely use granola. I imagine a granola with a lighter flavour and not to many add-ins. Thanks
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour or 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2⁄3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup butter, chilled and cubed
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups granola cereal (homemade or store-bought)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly butter a cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, brown sugar and baking powder.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture is the texture of cornmeal.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk, egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir into the flour mixture (The dough will be sticky.)
- With lightly floured hands, knead in the granola.
- Use an ice cream scoop or 1/3 cup measure to spoon the dough onto the cookie sheet, spacing them 2 1/2 to 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks.
- Serve warm or cold.