Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Got this yummy healthy breakfast from www.chooseveg.com - the source of this recipe is from "Healthy Eating for Life for Women" by Kris Kieswer. Serve with fresh fruit or maple syrup.
- 1⁄2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sodium-free baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup fortified soymilk or 1 cup rice milk
- Mix buckwheat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed banana, maple syrup, vinegar, and milk. Add flour mixture, stirring just enough to remove any lumps and make a pourable batter. Add a bit more milk if batter seems too thick.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet or griddle, then spray lightly with vegetable oil. Pour small amounts of batter onto the heated surface and cook until tops bubble. Turn carefully with a spatula and cook the second sides until browned, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
I don't usually give 5 stars but these are really tasty and I think they get extra kudos for being gluten- and lactose-free. (even egg free!) No maple syrup so I substituted 1 Tbs of honey which made them plenty sweet.
I am in the process of making these now for my 14 month DD who isn't tolerant of dairy or wheat. They only problem is that they are hard to flip. Best results when they are mostly cooked on top. Once flipping they puff up beautifully!