Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 medium green bell peppers
- 2 ounces onions, chopped
- 1 ounce brazil nut, sliced
- 2 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 ounces buckwheat groats
- 3 ounces sweetcorn
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 pint tomato juice
- 1⁄4 pint water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- Wipe peppers& slice off their tops& remove pith& seeds.
- Heat oil& fry the onion for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden.
- Add brazils& buckwheat.
- Fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms, sweetcorn, parsley, rosemary& seasonings.
- Pile mixture into pepper shells.
- Replace tops& stand in a closely fitting pan.
- Pour in the tomato juice& water.
- Bring to a boil, cover& simmer for 55 to 60 minutes.
- Carefully lift the peppers out of the cooking liquid& keep warm in a serving dish.
- Blend the cornstarch with 2 tbsps.
- of tomato stock.
- Add to the pot with the seasonings& simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Hand the sauce around with the peppers.
I have a vegetarian friend who visits once a year from Austalia and we made this for her and it was really good. Had to change it slightly but wonderful.