Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nix the deep fryer in favour of a heavy frying pan and a touch of canola oil for these sweet, nutty snacks you can have for breakfast! They're completely vegan, nut free, 100% whole grain and GLUTEN FREE too!
- 2 large apples, peeled in alternating ribbons stem to stern (vertically)
- 1 cup dark buckwheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup pure apple cider (not alcoholic)
- 2 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon coconut oil, for cooking
- dark amber maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- Using a mandoline, slice each apple into even, thin rings (I suggest no more than 4-5mm thick). Place into a bowl of lemon water to stop browning while preparing the batter.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and flaxseed.
- Add the apple cider and maple syrup and whisk to make a smooth batter.
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-low heat and add the oil.
- Pat apple slices dry and dip in the batter, evenly coating both sides.
- Add to the hot pan and cook until batter is crisp on the underside and the apple is halfway cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Flip slices and cook on the other side until the batter is crispy and the apple is fork-tender.
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of syrup if desired.