1/1 Photo of Buckwheat Apple Pan Fritters
Nix the deep fryer in favour of a heavy frying pan and a touch of canola oil for these sweet, nutty snacks you can have for breakfast! They're completely vegan, nut free, 100% whole grain and GLUTEN FREE too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large apples, peeled in alternating ribbons stem to stern (vertically)
- 1 cup dark buckwheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup pure apple cider (not alcoholic)
- 2 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon coconut oil, for cooking
- dark amber maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- 1Using a mandoline, slice each apple into even, thin rings (I suggest no more than 4-5mm thick). Place into a bowl of lemon water to stop browning while preparing the batter.
- 2In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and flaxseed.
- 3Add the apple cider and maple syrup and whisk to make a smooth batter.
- 4Heat a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-low heat and add the oil.
- 5Pat apple slices dry and dip in the batter, evenly coating both sides.
- 6Add to the hot pan and cook until batter is crisp on the underside and the apple is halfway cooked, about 5 minutes.
- 7Flip slices and cook on the other side until the batter is crispy and the apple is fork-tender.
- 8Serve immediately with a drizzle of syrup if desired.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buckwheat Apple Pan Fritters
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.8
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 371.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 18.5 g
- Protein 4.7 g