Prep 8 mins
Cook 10 hrs
I am THE farthest thing from a raw foodist, but I really enjoy this for breakfast. The texture is refreshingly unusual, and the taste is delicious!
- 1⁄3 cup buckwheat groats (not kasha, which is toasted)
- 5 dates
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1 medium apple, sliced into quarters (I like tart ones!)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 -2 tablespoon shredded coconut (optional but yummy) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons walnuts or 2 tablespoons any other nuts or 2 tablespoons seeds, of your choice
- NOTE: This makes a generous bowlful, so for a rather more manageable amount, use 1/4 cup buckwheat groats and reduce everything else slightly.
- Soak the grits and dates overnight in 1 1/4 cups of water. In the morning, drain off and RESERVE the soaking liquid.
- Put groats and dates in a food processor or blender (if you have a mini-blender it comes in handy here!). Add 2 of the apple quarters, the juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/4 cup of the soaking liquid. Blend till fairly smooth.
- Pour into a bowl. Finely dice 1 of the remaining apple quarters (you don't need the last quarter so munch away) and stir into the cereal.
- Top with coconut and walnuts, or whatever you like. Almonds are pretty good. So -- enjoy!
Ok, I didn't realize this was raw until I already started soaking the buckwheat. I was a little nervous but it turned out amazing!!! Even on a chilly day, it still hit the spot. It's still probably best in warm weather. The flavor was great and the texture/moisture makes it very satisfying. Thanks for a great way to prepare buckwheat.