Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
These tortillas are delightfully different & Tasty. They are good with soup too or on their own as a snack. You may vary your stir fry vegetable to suit your taste. The dough is very easy to work with, just keep dusting the board with buckwheat flour. In one of the photos you will see just the stir fry no buckwheat tortilla. I also added green beans. The recipe is quite vesatile - use it as you will
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 cup cooked mashed yam, cooled
- 2 teaspoons wasabi (optional)
- 1 egg white
- 3⁄4 cup water, apprx
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli floret
- 1 cup sugar snap pea, cut diagonally
- 1 cup yellow zucchini or 1 cup green zucchini, cut in 3/4 inch cubes, unpeeled
- 3 green onions, cut diagonally
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- Pour the buckwheat& white flour into a large bowl.
- Swirl the flour quickly with one hand as you pour in about 3/4 of the water.
- Now mix the flour& water with both hands by picking up chunks of the dough, squeezing it and dropping it back into the bowl; and flour are well mixed.
- You may want to add the remaining water.
- The dough should be pliable but not too sticky.
- Mix the wasabi, egg white & yam.
- Add this to the dough and thoroughly work it inches.
- If you have a heavy duty mixer blend in the yam using the dough blade, if not just keep mixing with your hands.
- If you are using a mixer continue to mix dough for apprx 10 minutes or until the dough is shiny and forms a ball.
- If kneading by hand knead like you would bread dough and continue kneading until the dough is shiny & forms a ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Dust your counter (or board) with buckwheat flour and pinch off a 2/1/2" piece of dough, dust your rolling pin with buckwheat flour.
- Flatten the dough with you hand then roll to form a round 1/4" or thinner tortilla, roll out all the dough placing a piece of wax paper or plastic between the tortillas.
- Oil a skillet and over medium High heat brown both sides of the tortilla, apprx 2 minutes per side.
- Place in foil and keep warm in a low oven while you make the sauce& stir fry.
- Sauce: Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Stir Fry:.
- Have all your ingredients ready prepared.
- Heat wok Or skillet to apprx 375°F.
- Add oil, add carrots, swish around for 3 minutes.
- Add Onions, Mushrooms, ginger & Garlic, stir fry 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli, peas and zucchini.
- Stir fry until the vegetables are heated through but still crisp.
- Pour in the sauce and stir, cover and simmer 3 minutes.
- Serve with warm tortillas on the side.
What a great meal! The best part was these tortillas...slightly spicy, a little sweet...YUM!!! The stir fry was a hit, but those tortillas :) I'll make this again.