Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A friend of mine from Texas sent this one to me. Time consuming but well worth the effort! =)
- 5 lbs venison, ground
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 tablespoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 (3 lb) can pinto beans, washed and drained
- 3 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 3 tablespoons dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Fry bacon in a large, heavy pot.
- Remove bacon when done and set aside.
- Add the venison which has been rough ground, the chopped onions, the minced garlic, and salt to bacon grease.
- Fry the venison til done and remove from the pot.
- Drain off the grease.
- Add the wine, tomato sauce, and the bacon which has been crumbled.
- Bring wine to a boil, add the jalapenos, venison mixture, Tabasco sauce, 3 Tablespoons of the cumin, the allspice, salt, red pepper flakes, beans and mushrooms.
- Reduce heat after cooking for 3 minutes, add tomato paste, and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir often or as needed.
- Add the remaining cumin, cook for 15 minutes more and serve.
A definite must try. One of the better chili recipes i have tried. Very good. I think the bacon really set it off.