Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I stole this "family" recipe from Alburrito's Mexican Restaurant in Littleton, New Hampshire. This is a hot-hot-HOT blend to make your Mexican fiesta a success!
- Cook all vegetables in a medium pot over high heat.
- Season as desired.
- Add cilantro, garlic, and lemon zest.
- Cook out remaining liquid from vegetables.
- Add vinegar, stock, and tomato juice.
- Reduce until 2/3 liquid remains.
- Let stand for one hour.
- Reseason if needed with salt, pepper, and spices.
- Purree blend until smooth, adding more tomato or stock for desired consistency.
- Serve with chips and salsa!
Fantastic!!! I used habaneros intead of scotch bonnet peppers - the heat factor is about the same but I love the flavor of those habs! There was some time involved in the cooking but the result was well worth the effort. This recipe made a lot and I'm looking forward to seeing if the heat factor goes up as the flavors meld in the next couple of days. Thanks for a great salsa recipe!