Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
So-called because of the candy's resemblance of the nut of a Buckeye tree, which was thought to look like a buck's eye (deer's eye). Buckeyes are poisonous nuts, so these peanut butter and chocolate treats are a better choice for eating!
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 3 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups dipping chocolate or 2 cups chocolate bark
- Line 2-3 large cookie pans with wax paper.
- Beat the peanut butter and butter in a large bowl until creamy.
- Stir in powdered sugar and then beat until smooth.
- Shape into 1" balls and place on the wax paper-lined pans.
- Freeze for at least one hour.
- Melt dipping chocolate/chocolate bark, per package instructions.
- Use a toothpick to dip the peanut butter balls into chocolate.
- Return to wax paper-lined pans and smooth out the top to remove the toothpick hole.
- Refrigerate until set.
AWESOME! These little buggers are soooo yummy! Very easy to make, too and super addictive! I used my home-made all-natural peanut-almond butter and in a second version a walnut-vanilla butter, which worked out really nicely. Because my butters were rather thick, I didnt need to add any powdered sugar or butter, so I could eat a few more of these tasty treats. ;)
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing these with us, hon!
Made and reviewed for your being VIP during Veggie Swap March 2012.
These are good, but I was looking for more texture in the center. A local restaurant has a version of buckeyes that are almost like peanut butter shortbread inside. My family enjoyed this recipe, but I will keep searching to replicate our favorite local treat.
WOW! So decadent! Loved the flavor combination! Made for Veg 'N Swap tag.