Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This is a great recipe for any day and at any time. I took first-place award in a Chili Contest at the Cloverdale Rodeo in the summer of 2000. There were 18 Chefs participating in the contest.
Top Review by Jan in Lanark
Hi Uncle Bill, This was my first time making chili with chunks of beef(in my case a boneless blade roast), and it was wonderful. I,too, made it the day before so the flavours could meld. Only change I made was to omit the mushrooms- can't envision them in chili, and added some pureed chipotle chiles for a little more depth of heat. Thanks for a great comfort meal ;-).
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck steaks or 2 lbs roast, cut into 3/8 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped small
- 3 (19 fluid ounce) cans red kidney beans, including liquid
- 3 (19 fluid ounce) cans plum tomatoes, crushed, include liquid
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (10 fluid ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (10 fluid ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, include liquid
- 3 tablespoons ground chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped small
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer, of your choice
- 1 cup dry red wine, of your choice
- 4 teaspoons tapioca starch or 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped onions or 1 cup chopped green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut rib steaks or roast into 3/8" cubes.
- Place into a large bowl and sprinkle with flour, mixing well to coat.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil on medium high heat.
- Add coated meat cubes and fry until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer meat cubes to a large cooking pot.
- Add chopped garlic, chopped onions, red kidney beans including liquid, plum tomatoes including liquid, tomato paste, beef broth, mushrooms including liquid, chili powder, ground cumin, sugar, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, dried oregano leaves, black pepper, salt, sweet red pepper, green pepper and celery and simmer covered, for at least 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add beer and red wine and continue to simmer covered, for 15 minutes.
- At this time, adjust seasonings to taste.
- In a small bowl, mix together tapioca starch with 1/4 cup of water.
- While chili is simmering add tapioca mixture to thicken slightly.
- When serving, add some grated sharp cheddar cheese and finely chopped onions for garnish.
- You can substitute and use 2 pounds of lean ground round instead of chuck steaks.
- Dredge ground round in flour and fry until lightly browned.
- Continue with the recipe.