Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Hatch Green Chile & Roasted Corn Salsa adds a spicy, southwestern twist to this hearty meal. This is my #1 requested Superbowl Crock pot dish. Tip: I prepare the meal the evening prior, add a timer to my outlet, and plug the crock pot into the timer, set the start time at 4 am. The meal is ready to be served by 6 pm.
- 4 lbs rump steak (I prefer organic rib or top sirloin from Whole Foods) or 4 lbs chuck (I prefer organic rib or top sirloin from Whole Foods) or 4 lbs arm roast (I prefer organic rib or top sirloin from Whole Foods) or 4 lbs rib roast (I prefer organic rib or top sirloin from Whole Foods) or 4 lbs top sirloin steaks (I prefer organic rib or top sirloin from Whole Foods)
- 4 medium potatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 lb baby potatoes (I prefer organic Amandine)
- 1⁄2 lb white pearl onion
- 3⁄4 lb shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 3 cups baby carrots
- 4 green chili peppers, sliced in 1/4 in. strips . (use med or hot roasted New Mexico Chilies. If you have access to roasted Hatch Green Chilies-use the)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 orange bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup beef stock
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cream of broccoli soup
- 13 ounces roasted tomato salsa (medium or hot roasted corn salsa)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packagedry mushroom gravy mix
- 1 cup red Burgundy wine (Highly recommend the 2002 Joseph Drouhin, Bourgogne Vero-remainder serve chilled with the meal)
- 5 ounces mild horseradish
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon habanero salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 -4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (Maytag Blue Cheese if available)
- Place the halved medium potatoes on the bottom of a 5 quart crock pot.
- Mix the cracked pepper, salt, habanero salt, thyme, and paprika together and rub well into the roast.
- Place the roast on top of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the dry onion soup on top of the roast.
- Add Worcestershire sauce.
- Add garlic evenly.
- Add carrots, yellow/orange bell peppers, small potatoes, pearl onions, and mushrooms.
- Add creamed soups.
- Add water, burgundy, & beef stock.
- Add horseradish and Hatch Green Chilies.
- Cook on low for 10 hours.
- Add salsa and dry mushroom gravy-stir well.
- Cook on low an additional 2-4 hours.
- Optional: When serving, sprinkle the roast with Blue Cheese.
- Serve with the vegetables and gravy on the side or on top of the roast beef.
Wow. I don't like to write negative reviews - but this was really bad. I followed the directions to the letter, and awoke to find my crockpot a soupy mess. The cream soups had coagulated into islands and we couldn't even salvage the meat - it was tasteless. We threw the whole thing out. Buck must be a wizard to have been successful with this recipe. I, apparently, am not.
My husband and I LOVED this meal. Kinda time consuming but WELL worth it
Buck, I'm giving this 5 stars as it sounds fantastic and I can't wait to try it. Please post more recipes. New Mexico has great food!