Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Delicious French log shaped cake. Great for the holidays!
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour (or 1 cup cake flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup jelly or 2⁄3 cup jam
- powdered sugar
- chocolate or vanilla frosting
- Heat oven to 375.
- Line jelly roll pan, 15 1/2x10 1/2x1 inch, with aluminum foil or waxed paper; grease generously.
- beat eggs in small mixer bowl on high speed until very thick and lemon color, about 5 minutes.
- Pour eggs into large mixer bowl.
- Beat in granulated sugar gradually.
- Beat in water and vanilla on low speed.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt gradually, beating just until batter is smooth.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 12-15 minutes.
- Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan.
- Invert on towel sprinkled generously with powdered sugar.
- Carefully remove foil/waxed paper; trim off stiff edges if necessary.
- While hot, carefully roll cake and towel from narrow end.
- Cool on wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
- Unroll cake; remove towel.
- Beat jelly slightly with fork to soften; spread over cake.
- Roll up.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or cover with frosting.