Recipe by Recipe Baroness
This is the best recipe for the traditional Christmas cake that looks like a tree log. It has over the years won many awards for me in food competitions, however it is a very time consuming recipe. What's that old saying? Good things come to those who wait? ...or in this instance those that take their time to create!
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄2 cup sifted cake flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- red glazed cherries
- green glazed cherries
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1⁄4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
Rich Chocolate Frosting
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square
- 1 ounce square semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 15 x 10 x 1 jelly roll pan and line with wax paper.
- grease and flour wax paper and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks in a large mixing bowl until think and lemon colored add 1/3 cup of sugar, beating well.
- add water and vanilla.
- fold in ground almonds.
- gradually fold in cake flour and cocoa.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) in large mixing bowl at high speed of an electric mixer until foamy.
- add cream of tartar and salt; beating well until soft peaks form.
- Add remaining 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- gradually fold into batter.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375F until top springs back when touched.
- Sift powdered sugar in a 15 x 10 inch rectangle on a towel.
- Peel off wax paper.
- starting at the narrow end, roll up cake and towel together.
- let the cake cool on a wire rack seam side down.
- Unroll cake; remove towel.
- spread cake with mocha filling; gently re roll cover and chill.
- Cut a 1 inch diagonal slice from the cake roll.
- Place roll on a serving platter.
- Position cut piece against side of cake roll to resemble a tree knot.
- Spread Rich Chocolate Frosting over the cake.
- Score frosting with the tines of a fork or a cake comb to resemble tree bark.
- Garnish with red and green candied Cherries.
- For Mocha filling: Pour whipping cream into a chilled mixing bowl, add coffee granules; let stand 3 minutes.
- Combine powdered sugar and cocoa beat cream until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar mixture beating until soft peaks form. chill. Yield 2 cups.
- Rich Chocolate Frosting: Place chocolate in top of a double boiler; bring water to a boil.
- reduce heat to low; cook until chocolate melts, stirring frequently.
- remove from heat.
- Cream butter, add chocolate, powdered sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla; beat until spreading consistency. Yield 2 cups.