Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a cake dessert. It's shaped into a "log" instead of the classic roundish cake. Its very delicious and when refrigerated for a few hours, it's taste resembles that of an eclair. I used egg replacer instead of eggs (I'm a vegetarian.) and it turned out just fine, for all you vegans out there. You can use any flavoured coffee for this. I used a mocha flavour. Make sure you grease your waxed paper real well, or else you will have trouble removing your baked batter ...
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipping cream (heavy)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee (dry)
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 -2 tablespoon hot water
- Heat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Line jelly roll pan, 15 1/2x10 1/2x1 inch, with aluminum foil or waxed paper; grease.
- Beat eggs in small bowl on high speed about 5 minutes or until very thick and lemon coloured. Pour eggs into large bowl; gradually beat in 1 cup sugar. Beat in water and vanilla on low speed. Gradually add flour, baking powder and salt, beating just until batter is smooth. Pour into pan, spreading batter to corners.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; invert onto towel generously sprinkled with powdered sugar. Carefully remove foil. Trim off stiff edges of cake if necessary. While hot, carefully roll cake and towel from narrow end. Cool on wire rack at least 30 minutes.
- Beat whipping cream, 2 tablespoons sugar and the coffee in chilled medium bowl until stiff. Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread whipped cream mixture over cake. Roll up cake. Frost.
- FROSTING - Thoroughly mix cocoa and butter in medium bowl. Beat in powdered sugar on low speed. Stir in vanilla and hot water. Beat until smooth and of spreading consistency.