Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brewed coffee, cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup strong coffee
- 1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl; set aside. In separate bowl beat eggs until thick and creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating constantly until mixture is very thick.
- Stir in coffee & vanilla.
- Fold in flour mixture. Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle kitchen towel with powdered sugar, invert cake onto towel, remove waxed paper and roll cake and towel jelly roll fashion.
- When cake has cooled unroll, spr ead with filling, reroll.
- Beat cream until stiff.
- Add instant coffee and powdered sugar.
- Melt chocolate chips with coffee over hot, not boiling water.
- Beat butter in small bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat corn syrup and egg yolks into butter.
- Stir in cooled chocolate mixture. SPECIAL NOTE: This is a very good recipe for a vertical layer cake. After the cake has cooled cut it into 3 3-1/2" wide strips.
- Fill then roll in one continuous strip, turn sideways so you have a 3-1/2" high cake. Frost as usual.
- This looks like a regular 2 layer cake until you cut into it.