Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Rachael Ray
- 1⁄2 lb bucatini pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 2 cubanelle peppers, seeded, and thinly sliced (long, light green mild Italian peppers)
- 1 (28 ounce) canchunky-style crushed tomatoes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil, shredded (20 leaves)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil; cook bucatini al dente, with a bite to it.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a very large, deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil and all of the sausage; brown and crumble the sausage for 7-8 minutes.
- Transfer cooked sausage from pan to paper towel lined plates and reserve.
- Drain off any pan drippings in excess of about 3 tablespoons.
- Add garlic, onion, and peppers to the pan; stir/saute 6-7 minutes, cooking until just tender.
- Add in the tomatoes and heat them through.
- Add the sausage back to the pan and combine; season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Drain the pasta and add to the pan; stir in the cheese, parsley, and basil; serve immediately.