Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
No dish could be more authentic or Sicilian than this. Both bucatini and eggplant are synonymous with Sicily, and the use of breadcrumbs is yet another characteristic of the Sicilian cuisine. This recipe from www.inmamaskitchen.com
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small eggplants, unpeeled, and cut into small strips
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 12 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup gaeta olive, pitted and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves, shredded
- 1 lb bucatini pasta
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- Heat oil in heavy sauté pan over medium heat. Stir in onion. Cook until softening and add garlic. When onion begins to turn golden, stir in eggplant and cook for five minutes, stirring. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes, olives and basil and simmer over medium heat until tomatoes soften.
- Cook bucatini in rapidly boiling, salted water until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain well in colander.
- Put pasta in serving bowl. Add the eggplant mixture. Toss and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.