We have prepared this a couple of times now and it is really wonderful! I don't like lamb that much, except in kibbies(sp?) , but this way of preparing it is really delicious. I found this on Barilla.com. They suggest a red wine to be served. We also had this with a salad of mixed greens with a vinagrette dressing and warm crusty bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- to taste salt
- to taste fresh ground black pepper
- to taste crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 26 ounces mushroom marinara sauce (I used Newman's Own)
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup freshly grated romano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 lb bucatini pasta, rigati (I used Barilla)
- chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 2Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- 3Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 4Sprinkle eggplant with salt; allow to drain in a colander for 30 minutes.
- 5Combine milk and breadcrumbs in a bowl.
- 6Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- 7Mix lamb, egg, breadcrumbs, salt, black ground pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, oregano, and parsley in a large bowl.
- 8Roll into 1 inch balls.
- 9Place on prepared baking sheet.
- 10Bake for 15-20 minutes and set aside.
- 11Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- 12Add eggplant, cook until tender.
- 13Add garlic, cook 1 minute.
- 14Add sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- 15Add meatballs to sauce.
- 16Simmer 10-15 minutes.
- 17Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- 18Add pasta to sauce; mix well.
- 19Sprinkle with grated cheese before serving.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bucatini, Lamb & Eggplant (Bucatini, Melanzane Ed Agnello)
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 914.0
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 137.1 mg
- Sodium 297.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 39.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mushroom marinara sauce