Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We have prepared this a couple of times now and it is really wonderful! I don't like lamb that much, except in kibbies(sp?) , but this way of preparing it is really delicious. I found this on Barilla.com. They suggest a red wine to be served. We also had this with a salad of mixed greens with a vinagrette dressing and warm crusty bread.
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- to taste salt
- to taste fresh ground black pepper
- to taste crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 26 ounces mushroom marinara sauce (I used Newman's Own)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated romano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 lb bucatini pasta, rigati (I used Barilla)
- chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt; allow to drain in a colander for 30 minutes.
- Combine milk and breadcrumbs in a bowl.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Mix lamb, egg, breadcrumbs, salt, black ground pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, oregano, and parsley in a large bowl.
- Roll into 1 inch balls.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add eggplant, cook until tender.
- Add garlic, cook 1 minute.
- Add sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Add meatballs to sauce.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Add pasta to sauce; mix well.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese before serving.