Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of the most popular Roman pasta dishes, very tasty and quick and simple to prepare. Like so many of traditional Italian dishes every household and every mammas and nonnas have their own recipes none of which are identical, this is the one we established and find to our liking... Bucatini is the type of the pasta traditionally used for this recipe, you can also use spaghetti, the result is just as delicious. Note: Given amounts of ingredients below are just a rough indication... please feel free to adjust them according to your preference! Also, during the season, do use fresh ripe tomatoes instead of those from the tins!
- 70 -80 g bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 400 g diced tomatoes
- black pepper, red crushed pepper or if you like it spicy crushed red pepper flakes
- 200 g of dry bucatini pasta
- freshly grated parmigiano, aged or pecorino romano cheese or if available aged pecorino romano cheese
- In a skillet sauté onion and garlic in a sufficient amount of olive oil.
- When they are well cooked, add the crumbled bacon and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper (or red pepper).
- *if you are using the tinned tomatoes, mush them up in small pieces.
- Bring to boil and cook for several minutes until the flavours are well blended and some of the extra liquid is evaporated.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta al dente, and drain.
- Toss the tomato mixture together with the pasta, serve with plenty of freshly grated cheese.
Loved it!! We've been spending a lot of time in Rome lately (oh the horror - right?) Now if I could just have a nice Roman view while I'm eating it....... ahhh, a girl can dream, can't she?
This was really tasty. I used canned tomatoes with herbs. I added a dash of dried basil and dried oregano, and used low fat rashers. Will definitely make again. Thanks Lavender Lynn :-)
This was delicious! I used pancetta and canned tomatoes, as that was all I had on hand. I also had to use spaghetti becaue I couldn't find bucatini in my grocery store. DH and I really enjoyed this dish and we plan to make it often.