1/1 Photo of Bucatini Alla Lipari (Bucatini With Nut Pesto and Tomato Sauce
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Posted in the NY Times, it looked too good to ignore! It's an off-the-menu special at the Italian Sistina Restaurant in New York City. The chef, Giuseppe Bruno, first ate it on the Lipari Islands near Sicily. This is different but tasty. I made quite a few adjustments according to my preferences. I was able to find a "heart-healthy" can of nuts that had peanuts, almonds, walnuts, pistachios and hazelnuts. I took out the peanuts and added some pine nuts:D Bucatini is a thick spaghetti, but you can use any pasta (I used farfalle).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 -4 cups tomatoes with juice (canned, whole, peeled, 24-32 ounces)
- salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups mixed nuts (whole nuts, such as pine nuts, walnuts, pistachios and hazelnuts)
- 3 -4 fresh mint leaves
- 1For tomato sauce: Heat oil and saute onion until translucent.
- 2Add garlic and tomatoes with their juices, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- 3Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Simmer uncovered until most of the juices have evaporated, 20-30 minutes.
- 5For pesto: In a food processor or blender, combine garlic, hot pepper flakes, olive oil, nuts and mint.
- 6Pulse to make a coarse paste.
- 7Season with black pepper to taste and set aside.
- 8For pasta: Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- 9Add bucatini and cook until al dente (or according to package directions).
- 10Set aside 1/2 cup pasta water and drain pasta.
- 11Return pasta to the pot and add pesto and tomato sauce.
- 12Toss well to coat, adding reserved water as needed to thin sauce.
- 13Garnish with fresh mint and serve with pecorino cheese passed separately.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bucatini Alla Lipari (Bucatini With Nut Pesto and Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 843.9
- Calories from Fat 326
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 609.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 25.6 g