When I tried this dish at Buca, I instantly fell in love with it. I was able to find the recipe elsewhere, and thought I should share it! It is fabulous! (I usually leave the peel on the eggplant, and chop it into one-inch cubes; but this can also be prepared with eggplant slices) If you don't have time to make Marinara, you can just a jarred sauce like Paul Newman's.
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh basil
- 15 ounces marinara sauce
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, fresh (found in Italian section in the market)
- 3 ounces romano cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 lb chicken breast, cooked sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, minced fresh
- 4 1⁄2 ounces olive oil
- 1 lb eggplant, chopped into inch cubes
- 16 ounces rigatoni pasta, cooked
- Heat olive oil.
- Add eggplant and saute until brown and soft. Add chopped garlic and saute.
- Add sliced chicken breast, and marinara. Reduce heat.
- Toss cooked rigatoni pasta with sauce; then romano cheese, fresh chopped basil, and fresh mozzarella cheese.
Pasta and eggplants are two of my favorites so I couldn't wait to try this. We really enjoyed it, especially my husband -- the chicken, cheese, pasta and eggplant really hit the spot. He devoured 2 huge servings. I peeled the eggplant to give it a softer texture, and I bought fresh mozzarella as called for -- it's the white kind that comes in a ball shape in the dairy. It didn't melt too well, so next time I'm going to buy a chunk of "regular" mozzarella and grate it. Thanks for posting this great recipe!