Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the Buca cookbook; entirely fabulous! I add 1/2 of browned Italian sausage to the toppings. YUM!
- 6 slices Italian bread, 1/2 inch thick
- 6 slices fresh eggplants, 1/4 inch-thick pieces sliced lengthwise
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage (sweet or hot) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake bread until light brown; set aside. (You can also toast bread instead).
- Salt the eggplant slices on both sides and let stand for about 30 minutes, then pat eggplant dry.
- Put 1/4 cup of olive oil in a saute pan and over medium heat fry the eggplant on both sides until it is light brown. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the tomatoes, 1/2 cup olive oil, onion, basil, garlic, salt & pepper, creating a bruschetta mix.
- Place the bread on a small sheet pan. Spread the goat cheese evenly on the toasted bread.
- Place the eggplant on top of the goat cheese.
- Top with the bruschetta mix.
- Sprinkle the fresh mozzarella cheese (and sausage if using) over the top.
- Put bruschetta under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until the mozzarella cheese is light golden brown.
- Serve immediately.