Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A Slovak sweet dessert. Adapted from "Out of this Kitchen". This is especially good with sour cherries.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemons, rind of or 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 lb of your favorite berries (although cherries work well too.)
- Cream sugar and butter.
- Add beaten yolks, blend until smooth.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Sift salt and flour together.
- Add egg whites and salt/flour to mix (slowly), ending with flour mix.
- It is best to alternate the two.
- Add at end the lemon/orange peel.
- Spoon mixture on bottom of 10"x6"x5" pan-.
- Place berries or cherries on top.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if you like.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes.