Recipe by justcallmetoni
Bubby is a common Yiddish term of affection. It is also the name of a popular local restaurant with outlets in Brooklyn and Manhattan. This is their rendition of one of my favorite desserts. Waiting for rhubarb season to try it.
Top Review by Chef Pegi #2
Koodo's....to your Bubby! Excellent recipe....only difference I used 5 cups rhubarb and 2 tbsps. of orange zest Oetker....keeping the sugar, strawberries the same quantity...but, adding an extra tbsp of butter...The citrus tang is a hit...this recipe is a Keeper...
- 1 double crust pie crust
- 709.77 ml fresh strawberries (halved or thickly sliced)
- 709.77 ml rhubarb, cut into 3/8 to 1/2 inch pieces
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 66.55 ml flour
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 7.39 ml orange zest
- 0.59 ml salt
- 14.79 ml sugar, to dust top
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare your favorite pie crust or use store-bought. Either way, they should be good and cold. Roll out the bottom crust and place in pie pan.
- Clean and slice the rhubarb and strawberries and place in a large bowl.
- Cover the fruit with the sugar, flour, zest and salt. Toss lightly as you would were this a salad.
- Place the mixture into the pie pan. Dot the pie with the butter slices. Cover with top crust, crimping the tops and bottoms so that the pie is well sealed.
- Chill the pie in the freezer briefly, about 20 minutes. Cut vent slits on the top crust and dust the top with the sugar.
- While the pie is chilling pre-heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet with a lip to catch drippings. For easy clean up line the sheet with foil. Bake the pie for 10 minutes or until the top crust appears dry and lightly blistered.
- Reduce the cooking heat to 350 degrees. Bake an additional 30-40 minutes. The exact time varies from one oven to another. Pie crust should be golden and flaky.
- Allow pie to cool completely before serving.
- Storage suggestion: Bubby's suggest that the pie should be stored uncovered for up to 2 days so that the crust can remain crisp.