1/1 Photo of Bubby's Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Bubby is a common Yiddish term of affection. It is also the name of a popular local restaurant with outlets in Brooklyn and Manhattan. This is their rendition of one of my favorite desserts. Waiting for rhubarb season to try it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare your favorite pie crust or use store-bought. Either way, they should be good and cold. Roll out the bottom crust and place in pie pan.
- 2Clean and slice the rhubarb and strawberries and place in a large bowl.
- 3Cover the fruit with the sugar, flour, zest and salt. Toss lightly as you would were this a salad.
- 4Place the mixture into the pie pan. Dot the pie with the butter slices. Cover with top crust, crimping the tops and bottoms so that the pie is well sealed.
- 5Chill the pie in the freezer briefly, about 20 minutes. Cut vent slits on the top crust and dust the top with the sugar.
- 6While the pie is chilling pre-heat oven to 475 degrees.
- 7Place the pie on a cookie sheet with a lip to catch drippings. For easy clean up line the sheet with foil. Bake the pie for 10 minutes or until the top crust appears dry and lightly blistered.
- 8Reduce the cooking heat to 350 degrees. Bake an additional 30-40 minutes. The exact time varies from one oven to another. Pie crust should be golden and flaky.
- 9Allow pie to cool completely before serving.
- 10Storage suggestion: Bubby's suggest that the pie should be stored uncovered for up to 2 days so that the crust can remain crisp.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bubby's Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.7
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 283.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 29.7 g
- Protein 4.1 g