Recipe by Jodi B.
My father loved potato kugel, especially his late mothers. Fortunately his sister taught my mother the unique recipe and it has been a staple at every family get together and holiday celebration. There are never any leftovers and we still fight over who is going to get a corner piece. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
Top Review by BoxO'Wine
i was lazy and used my food processor to prepare the potatoes. I think I messed up by using way too much oil but I am not sure cause I never made a kugel before. I simply drained off the excess oil before I cut into squares. I grabbed the corner pieces for myself cause I read the instructions. Put a little sour cream on top of each kugel piece I ate. Really enjoyed this dish. Tasted a lot like my potato pancakes. DH liked it too.
- 5 lbs potatoes, grated (if possible use old fashioned square hand grater & DO NOT discard liquid)
- 1 medium onions or 1 large onion, grated
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Oil sides & corners of dark roaster; pour 1/4 inch oil in bottom of roaster and place in oven until smoking hot.
- While oil is heating in oven, mix together first five ingredients (potatoes, onion, eggs, flour, S&P).
- When oil is very hot, remove pan from oven and carefully pour all but 1 Tb oil into potato mixture.
- Combine well and pour mixture back into hot pan.
- Smooth out top.
- Bake in lower third of the oven for one hour then place on top third of oven for another hour, until crust is crispy and dark brown.
- Remove from oven, cool for 5 minutes and cut into squares.
- Beware of fights for the corner pieces.