Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These pies are from Anne McCaffrey's Pern Books. This recipe comes from "The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern".
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 5 cups blueberries (or one 20 oz package, frozen)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (klah bark)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter or 1⁄2 tablespoon margarine
- Crust: Cut the butter into chunks.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Work the butter gently into the dry mixture with a fork until pieces the size of peas form.
- Sprinkle the water over and work it in.
- (Do not overwork the dough.) Form the dough into a ball.
- Filling: Gently toss berries with sweetening and klah bark in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle citrus juice over mixture.
- Spoon berries into crust and dot with butter.
- For twelve gather pies: 1 crust recipe, 1 beaten egg, 1/2 filling recipe.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to a 1/8 inch thickness.
- Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out 24 circles.
- Lay out 12 on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Divide filling among circles, spooning approximately 2-3 tablespoons into the center of each, leaving a 1/4 inch border.
- Brush the border with egg.
- Lay the second circle on top of each pie, and press edges together with a fork all teh way around.
- (Stretch the top crust gently to fit if necessary.) If desired, mix together 1/4 cup water with 1 1/2 tbsp sweetening; brush top of each pie with mixture for a sugary glaze.
- Witha knife, cut three or four short slits in the top of each pie.
- Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes, until crust is golden.
- Slide gently off cookie sheet with spatula.