Recipe by momthecook #2
This is an old Irish dish. I call it true 'comfort food'.
Top Review by VegSocialWorker
Turned out very tasty. Great way to use up cabbage. Served with some leftover vegi-loaf. We really did not feel like we were eating left-overs at all. Will keep this easy, yummy recipe for future use. Thank you!
- 2 -3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cooked shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 poached eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and butter in a cast iron frying pan over medium heat.
- Saute onions until they start to turn transparent.
- Stir in mashed potatoes and cabbage. (The sound they make when they cook gives the name to the dish).
- Stir occasionally until potatoes are heated through.
- Pat everything down in the pan and turn down the heat to low.
- Cook without stirring until the bottom is brown.
- Cut into four pieces and put on plates.
- Make a well in the top of each piece and place a poached egg in each.