Recipe by Hippie2MARS
I'm fascinated with bubble-up recipes!. This recipe uses your favorite salsa, allowing you to control the heat. I used my sister's awesome homemade salsa in mine. You can top the casserole with your favorite taco toppings, or serve them on the side.
Top Review by Caroline_Ryan
This was very good. I added corn to the meat/bean mixture. I also cooked the biscuits by itself for 15 minutes before adding the meat topping only because I have found in the past when I do a dish with adding biscuits on top or below, the biscuits never cook fully and it comes out doughy. Easy to make and everyone loved this dish!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning, divided
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (16 1/3 ounce) can refrigerated biscuits
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium skillet, brown hamburger and chopped onion.
- While the meat is cooking, combine 2 T of the taco seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and basil in a 1 quart plastic storage bag.
- Shake to mix well.
- Cut the biscuits into quarters.
- Drop the biscuit quarters, a handful at a time, into the bag and shake to coat evenly.
- As the biscuit quarters are coated, layer them in the bottom of a greased 2 qt baking dish, and set aside.
- Drain grease from meat mixture, then return to skillet and add 2 T of the taco seasoning, any leftover seasoning mixture from coating the biscuits, and the water; cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in salsa and black beans.
- Carefully spread the mixture over the biscuit pieces in the casserole dish. Bake 20 minutes; remove from oven and cover with the shredded cheese.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.