Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This has been in my family since I was about 5 years old. I asked my Grandma why it was called bubble and squeek and she told me it was the sound it makes when you eat it. Strange, huh? This is my favorite comfort food and it's cheap and easy.
- 6 slices bacon, sliced crosswise in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water (use tomato sauce can)
- garlic salt, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked as usual
- Saute bacon and onion until done. Stir in tomato sauce, water and seasonings. Simmer while macaroni is cooking. Drain macaroni and put in soup bowls. Ladle sauce over macaroni. Make sure to use lots of sauce on each serving. Eat at once so it stays kind of soupy. We always add more pepper and garlic salt to our own portion.
This sounds like a good comfort food dish, but alas it is not Bubble and Squeek which is made from veggies and meat mixed with mashed potatoes and shallow fried. Its what we British do with leftovers from Sunday lunch for dinner on Monday evening.
Although this does sound like good comfort food... I totally agree with EnglishPete. Being a Brit myself, I was looking for a good recipe for "Bubble and Squeek", which is mainly meat, cabbage and potatoes and came across this which sounds like an alternative to Mac and Cheese....
The great thing about this is its simplicity. Having macaroni and bacon, the recipe is already a winner. But I'm someone who could drink tomato sauce out of the can too... I had a bit of leftover Mexicali corn, so I threw that in. It was really delicious. Thank you CJAY! Made for ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET 2011.