Recipe by CJAY
This has been in my family since I was about 5 years old. I asked my Grandma why it was called bubble and squeek and she told me it was the sound it makes when you eat it. Strange, huh? This is my favorite comfort food and it's cheap and easy.
Top Review by EnglishPete
This sounds like a good comfort food dish, but alas it is not Bubble and Squeek which is made from veggies and meat mixed with mashed potatoes and shallow fried. Its what we British do with leftovers from Sunday lunch for dinner on Monday evening.
- 6 slices bacon, sliced crosswise in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water (use tomato sauce can)
- garlic salt, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked as usual
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute bacon and onion until done. Stir in tomato sauce, water and seasonings. Simmer while macaroni is cooking. Drain macaroni and put in soup bowls. Ladle sauce over macaroni. Make sure to use lots of sauce on each serving. Eat at once so it stays kind of soupy. We always add more pepper and garlic salt to our own portion.