1/17 Photos of Bubble and Squeak - Traditional British Fried Leftovers!
French Tart's Note:
I make this so often, that I thought it was about time I posted the recipe! This amusingly named dish is basically traditional British fried leftovers, and probably enjoyed more than the original vegetables were I think! In fact, I have been known to cook the vegetables in order to make the Bubble and Squeak! The name is thought to originate from the noise it makes whilst cooking in the frying pan - bubbling and squeaking, whatver the reason, this simple dish is delicious and a wonderful way to "fry up" your leftover spuds and greens! I like to season mine with lots of freshly ground black pepper. This is a traditional post-Christmas breakfast dish - but don't wait until then to make this. Excellent if served as part of an English breakfast with bacon and eggs, or as a light supper dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the cabbage or sprouts with the mashed or diced cooked potatoes and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- 2Method if using mashed potatoes:.
- 3Heat the butter in a large frying pan, add the potato mixture and smooth it flat with a spatula.
- 4Fry over a medium heat for about 8 to 10 minutes or until underside is brown, and the Bubble and Squeak sizzles, bubbles and squeaks! (Sorry, could not resist that!).
- 5Place a large plate over the pan and turn the pan and plate over so that the bubble and squeak is on the plate.
- 6Heat the remaining butter in the pan and carefully slide the bubble and squeak back in the pan.
- 7Cook again over a medium heat until the other side is golden brown.
- 8Cut into wedges and serve with eggs and bacon for breakfast, or bread and butter for a light snack or supper dish. This is also wonderful as an accompaniment to stews and casseroles.
- 9Method for diced boiled or roast potatoes:.
- 10If using diced boiled or roast potatoes, mix all the vegetables together as above, and just fry them in a frying pan together; there is no need to press them down into a cake - stir them regularly to achieve an all over colour; then serve them with a spoon, rather than cut into slices. They still taste the same!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bubble and Squeak - Traditional British Fried Leftovers!
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.2
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 32.7 mg
- Sodium 464.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g