Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 27 mins
- 2 lbs baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces bacon
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 lb Brussels sprout, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Wash potatoes under cold running water then place in a large saucepan.
- Cover with salted water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until soft, uncovered, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Peel potatoes and mash.
- Add butter and cream and mix well.
- Meanwhile fry bacon until crisp.
- Drain on paper towel and set aside. In the same skillet add onion to bacon drippings and saute until soft, about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Stir in celery, sage and pepper and saute 2 minutes longer.
- Add lemon juice. Combine vegetables with mashed potatoes, stir well to combine and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Shape potato mixture into 10 patties.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet and saute patties until brown and crispy, about 5 minutes per side. Crumble bacon over top and serve. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Absolutely perfect and delicious, just like what I ate while living in England!
Although i am sure this recipe is delicious, bubble and squeak is primarily a left overs recipe and i have never had it made with cream. Also, it is most often made with cabbage rather than brussel sprouts, but any greens would be nice. The most important thing is to fry it long enough so that the edges go brown and crispy ! Yum ! Glad to see soem people appreciate English cookery !
Why are there brussle sprouts in the breakfast catigory? You must have amazing kids if this will go over at 7 am!