Recipe by Random Rachel
A hearty fried vegetable hash with brussel sprouts, carrots, parsnips, and potatoes. Would also work well with leftover vegetables. From Saveur magazine.
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts, halved
- 6 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 medium parsnips, chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400* F. Place brussels sprouts, carrots, and parsnips on a baking sheet, toss with 4 tbsp oil, salt and pepper. Bake until tender, 25 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter. Cook onions for 8-10 minutes until soft. Remove from heat - add potatoes, salt, pepper, cream, and chives. Mash until smooth, and then stir in roasted vegetables.
- Heat remaining oil and butter in a 12" skillet. Add vegetable mixture, and cook over medium high heat until brown, flipping once. Listen to it "bubble and squeak" as you cook it.