Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Goes nicely with a pint of oatmeal stout or nut brown ale! :)
- 2 cups potatoes, cooked and mashed (lumpy)
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped,parboiled
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄2 cup diced smoked ham
- 2 slices bacon, cooked,crumbled
- black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon bacon drippings
- Mix together potatoes, cabbage, onion, garlic, chives, ham, and bacon.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat bacon drippings in skillet; add potato mixture and form a patty.
- Brown over medium heat on one side.
- Invert onto plate and serve.
SueL, I gave this recipe a 5* cause I'm not a big fan of hash-type recipes, but my husband is so we tried it...and I went back for seconds! We actually browned both sides by sliding the 'pancake' onto a large plate after it was brown and then flipping it back into the frying pan to brown the other side. We cooked it slowly, about 20 minutes per side to get a nice brown crust on the outside without burning it. Next time we make it, we'll add more bacon and cabbage. Thanks, Sue! M&Mers
I finally located a copy of Mr. Smith's recipe, for those who may want to know the differences between his and my own. He seems to include zucchini as one of his ingredients, and omits the chives that I find give a nice flavor. He does have different quantities on every single thing that can be used, although the general cooking method is about the same, as I would assume would be for all bubble and squeak recipes. As I have said before, this is a traditional recipe, where many versions exist, even beyond these. I encourage you to try any version that pleases you best! :)
This is addictive. I'm the only cabbage lover in my house, but everyone enjoyed this.