Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
The name of this dish is due to the sounds that are emitted during cooking, the cabbage bubbles as it is boiled and then squeaks in the frying pan. NOTE: This classic British dish originally contained beef along with the leftover cooked potatoes and cabbage, though today people don't generally bother with the meat.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the onion and fry for a few minutes until softened, stirring frequently.
- Add the potatoes and cabbage.
- If you are including the beef, add this as well.
- Fry over a medium heat for about 15 minutes until brown then serve.
- Omit the beef and lamb and bacon fat for Vegetarian.
A little bit of Cream Cheese and this is to die for.
Good hearty and warm dish for cosy winter (or spring) evening!!! I made it with ground beef. Tasty! Thank you!
This was really nice! I added extra salt because of another review and some pepper as well. I also used butter when I mashed the potatos - not sure if this was part of the recipe or not? It is a great staple for dinners...