Recipe by Mille®
The name of this dish is due to the sounds that are emitted during cooking, the cabbage bubbles as it is boiled and then squeaks in the frying pan. NOTE: This classic British dish originally contained beef along with the leftover cooked potatoes and cabbage, though today people don't generally bother with the meat.
- 1 ounce butter, margarine or 1 ounce bacon fat
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb potato, cooked and mashed
- 8 ounces cabbage, boiled
- ground beef (optional) or lamb (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the onion and fry for a few minutes until softened, stirring frequently.
- Add the potatoes and cabbage.
- If you are including the beef, add this as well.
- Fry over a medium heat for about 15 minutes until brown then serve.
- Omit the beef and lamb and bacon fat for Vegetarian.