Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The name of this dish is due to the sounds that are emitted during cooking, the cabbage bubbles as it is boiled and then squeaks in the frying pan. NOTE: This classic British dish originally contained beef along with the leftover cooked potatoes and cabbage, though today people don't generally bother with the meat.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the onion and fry for a few minutes until softened, stirring frequently.
- Add the potatoes and cabbage.
- If you are including the beef, add this as well.
- Fry over a medium heat for about 15 minutes until brown then serve.
- Omit the beef and lamb and bacon fat for Vegetarian.