Recipe by Kaarin
This is a hearty and creamy sausage and cabbage main dish, for those of us who don't like tomatoes with cabbage. My mom made this often, now I do. This is easy and versatile; we have used cauliflower, broccoli or brussels sprouts for the cabbage. If you have a favorite bechamel sauce, feel free to use it-you will need 2 cups. This is an old fashioned English dish.
Top Review by Tera Lynn
This was EXCELLENT! I was little unsure of the cabbage being soggy but it was not the case. This is time consuming from start to end product, but definitely worth it!! My family RAVED about it!
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped and cooked
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk, heated
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the sausage in a skillet.
- Remove from pan to a bowl, then add the onion to the sausage drippings and cook till limp.
- Add the onion to the meat; mix well and spread in a buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Layer the cabbage on top, salting to taste.
- To make the white sauce, melt the butter in a heavy saucepan; stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste is thick and bubbling, but not brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the hot milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens.
- Bring to a boil; add salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes more.
- Pour sauce over cabbage and top with the bread crumbs.
- Bake 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees F till bubbling and hot.