Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
Just couldn't resist.... from FoodReference: BUBBLE AND SQUEAK An old English dish, named for the sounds the ingredients make while cooking (or from the sound one's stomach makes after eating it). Some sources say it was originally cold boiled beef and chopped cabbage, others claim it was originally mashed potatoes and cabbage, while some claim it originally contained all three. Today it is typically made from leftover potatoes and cabbage fried together.
- 1 lb cold potato
- 2 ounces drippings or 2 ounces lard
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 8 ounces cooked cabbage (chopped) or 8 ounces mixed sprouts (chopped)
- black pepper (freshly ground)
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop the potatoes and crush slightly.
- In a frying pan melt half the fat and lightly fry the onion.
- Mix in the potato and greens and season well.
- Add more dripping or lard.
- Press the bubble into the hot fat and fry over a moderate heat until browned underneath.
- Turn the bubble over, add the last of the fat and fry until the other side is browned.