Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
If you can't eat rice on Passover this is a great substitution. We use this side dish to go with everything, meatballs, chicken, etc. It is so good and enjoyed by young and old alike. Do not think of using the boxed matzo farfel that is sold in stores; I made the mistake of doing that once and it was horrible. Most of the time we don't even bother with all the vegetables unless we're using it for a stuffing.
- 1 lb of machine-made matzohs, coarsely broken into pieces
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms (optional)
- 2 stalks celery (optional)
- 1⁄2 red pepper (optional)
- 2 cups chicken soup or 2 cups water with chicken bouillon
- Saute onion over very low flame until nicely caramelized.
- Add whichever vegetables you like if using and saute for an additional five minutes.
- Add broken matzo pieces to vegetables.
- Add soup or water, seasonings, and mix well.
- Place entire mixture into a baking pan and bake covered fifteen minutes.
- Remove covering and continue baking until edges start to crisp up.
- Serve with favorite main dish and enjoy!