Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a unique and very flavorful way to prepare a beef brisket - when you want a change from bbq flavors. One of our long time family favorites, great for company or a holiday meal.
- 4 -5 lbs beef brisket
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 -2 sliced onion
- fresh ginger
- garlic clove
- yellow mustard
- 1 cup cooking sherry
- seasoning salt
- Cover the bottom of a roasting pan with sliced onions, bay leaf , some garlic slivers and 1 slice of fresh ginger root.
- Place brisket on top, tuck garlic slivers into fat if desired; cover fat side with yellow mustard, sprinkle with seasoning salt and pepper- turn over and repeat on other side.
- Pour one cup sherry over roast and marinate until ready to cook (overnight is fine).
- Cook at 400 degrees to brown for 20 minutes, then turn roast over (fat side up) for another 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees and cover.
- Approximate cooking time is another 2 hours. Roast is done when fork comes out easily.
- Let stand for at least 1/2 hour before slicing.
- Return slices to gravy.
- If desired, sliced potatoes can be added to pan 1/2 hour before meat is done.