Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love chicken livers prepared almost any way. I obtained this delicious recipe from an online friend named Bubba.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced very fine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 lb chicken liver, raw (trimmed,and pureed in a food processor or minced ultra fine by hand)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups long grain rice
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until crisp and brown, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. set aside.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to the pan. Cook stirring often until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken liver puree and cook, stirring often until the puree loses its red look and is semi solid. About three minutes.
- Add the water, salt, poultry seasoning, thyme and black and cayenne peppers. Bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and return to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about twenty minutes. Place finished rice on serving platter and crumble bacon on top.