Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This was given to me a hundred years ago (well, not quite) by an old boyfriend who got the recipe from his grandmother. My kids love this stuff. You can add more seasoning or hot sauce if you like! Throw in some cornbread and you have a one-dish meal.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Tony Chachere's Seasoning
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- Season chicken with seasoning.
- Heat oil over medium high heat.
- Cook chicken for 4 to 5 minutes on each side over medium heat.
- Remove chicken.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- Saute onions, celery, bell pepper, and sliced smoked sausage for 5 minutes or until vegetables are somewhat wilted.
- Add chicken, tomatoes, and just enough water to cover chicken.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Simmer up to 1 hour until chicken is tender. Serve over rice.
I really enjoyed how fast and easy this came together I used Rotel with habanaro's it was very hot but very good thanks for sharing
This dish hit the spot on a chilly rainy evening! We really liked the two-meat combo. After everything was ready for the final simmer stage, I used chicken stock instead of water just for the opportunity to add some more great flavor. I almost missed adding the bell pepper as it is missing on the ingredient list, but is mentioned in the directions. We used our cornbread to "sop up" some of the broth...YUM!! On a personal note...thanks for introducing me to Tony Cachere!! He is my new best friend in my spice collection! Thanks for this great recipe! :)