Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
These are really good hush puppies. This recipe is quite different than most recipes I have tried. The cream corn, cheese and jalapeno peppers really make these hush puppies special. I got this recipe from an old church cookbook I found one day in the attic.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine eggs and milk; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Stir in cheese, pepper, corn, and onion.
- Do not overstir.
- Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a small dutch oven.
- Heat to 375°F.
- Carefully drop batter by rounded tablespoons into oil.
- Fry hush puppies a few at a time 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels.
These are sooo good and easy to make. I made medium size cakes (the size of crab cakes) and serve them with beans & rice. Wonderful!
These were very good. I used regular flour and corn meal and that was a mistake. Use self-rising only. Great flavor.