Recipe by kandee_roses
These are really good hush puppies. This recipe is quite different than most recipes I have tried. The cream corn, cheese and jalapeno peppers really make these hush puppies special. I got this recipe from an old church cookbook I found one day in the attic.
Top Review by mcallahan551
I haven't tried this yet, I was just looking for a recipe for Hush Puppies with creamed corn and came across this. I have to giggle a little bit, wondering what old church the recipe came from. I realized I have a Bubba Gump cookbook, and lo and behold the exact same recipe almost word for word lol. Can't wait to try it.
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 (17 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 large onion, chopped
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine eggs and milk; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Stir in cheese, pepper, corn, and onion.
- Do not overstir.
- Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a small dutch oven.
- Heat to 375°F.
- Carefully drop batter by rounded tablespoons into oil.
- Fry hush puppies a few at a time 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels.