Recipe by Chef Rangel
Sweet and crispy, my grandmother made these for my birthday in lieu of a cake.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups flour
- 1 dash salt
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Make cinnamon sugar topping first and set aside.
- Work shortening into flour and salt with a pastry blender or your hands. Add warm water and stir until dough comes together.
- Roll out to thin rounds 7-8 inches in diameter.
- Heat oil in a shallow skillet until hot. Drop flat into hot oil, brown lightly about 30 seconds on each side.
- Remove from skillet and sprinkle to taste with topping mixture of cinnamon and sugar.