Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Mexican Cookshelf, dressing up a simple dessert.
- 4 flour tortillas
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 6 -8 tablespoons sugar
- vegetable oil, to fry
- chocolate ice cream, to serve
- orange zest, to garnish
- Using a sharp knife, kitchen shears or a cookie cutter, cut each tortilla into star shapes.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and set aside.
- Heat oil in a shallow, wide skillet until it is hot enough to brown a cube of bread in 30 seconds. Working one at a time, fry the star-shaped tortillas until one side is golden, then turn and cook until golden on the other. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle generously with the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Serve with the chocolate ice cream, sprinkled with the orange rind strips.
- Vary the taste by using any of the Mexican flavors-caramel, cinnamon, coffee, or chocolate ice cream.