1/2 Photos of B'stilla
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A rather unusual Moroccan Chicken Pie that is both savoury and sweet. Traditionally, it uses pigeon or capon, but chicken is a good, and more readily available substitute. This is really good, so roll up your sleeves and give it a go!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter, plus
- 1/2 cup additional butter, melted, for brushing phyllo
- 2 (4 lb) chicken
- 2 bunches parsley, chopped
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron thread
- 1/2 lb blanched whole almond, toasted lightly, cooled and ground
- 1 1/4 cups icing sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 10 sheets phyllo pastry, covered with damp towel
- 1In a large pot, melt ¼ cup of butter over moderate heat and add chickens, parsley, onion, saffron and 2 cups water.
- 2Bring mixture to boil and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- 3Transfer chicken to cutting board, reserving liquid, and let cool.
- 4Shred chicken and return meat to liquid.
- 5Bring to boil and cook, stirring, until almost all liquid is evaporated.
- 6Let cool.
- 7In a bowl, combine almonds and 1 cup of sugar.
- 8Add ½ of almond mixture to chicken, stir in beaten eggs, pepper and 2 tsps cinnamon.
- 9Preheat oven to 330°F and place rack in middle of oven.
- 10Line a buttered 13 x 14 inch ovenproof dish with 1 sheet of phyllo.
- 11Brush generously with butter.
- 12Layer 5 more sheets of phyllo in the same way, brushing each one generously with butter.
- 13Sprinkle remaining almond mixture over phyllo and top with chicken.
- 14Cover with remaining 4 sheets of phyllo, buttered, folding in edges to enclosed filling and brushing more butter over top.
- 15Bake pastry for 25-30 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- 16Sift remaining ¼ cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon over top.
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for B'stilla
Serving Size: 1 (593 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1101.9
- Calories from Fat 694
- Total Fat 77.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.0 g
- Cholesterol 358.5 mg
- Sodium 468.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 20.8 g
- Protein 62.6 g