Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a sweet cornbread recipe that I have modified numerous times over the years until I have one that I am quite satisfied with. Try it, as I am a perfectionist and I believe you will like it. The crust is very crunchy and the interior is very moist. I hope that you will enjoy!
- 1 cup unbleached white flour (5 oz)
- 1 cup white cornmeal (Don't substitute(it isn't the same!)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (Use Rumford's if possible)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil, plus
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place 3 TBSP oil in a CAST IRON Skillet (9-inch) and heat oil till almost smoking.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl mix dry ingredients together.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk wet ingredients together.
- Once oil is almost smoking in the cast iron skillet, remove from heat and pour batter in the skillet.
- Place skillet in oven on the upper 1/3rd of the oven and bake until the top is a nice golden to light brown. Cut into pie wedges and serve with butter.