Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
A vegetarian alternative to many types of Spanish pork sausage. Can be used for patties or links.
Make and share this Bryanna's Vegetarian Spanish Sausage recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups vegetarian ground beef (such as Yves Ground Round)
- 6 ounces firm tofu, mashed
- 2 -3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (for Mexican-style)
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or 2 tablespoons brandy (for Spanish-style) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon pureed chipotle chiles in adobo or 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- NEW ORLEANS CHAURICE (You can use this in place of Tasso, the Louisiana hot spicy pickled pork): Version#1: For Seasoning Mixture use, 4 cloves garlic, crushed; 1 Tablespoon EACH paprika, minced parsley, and chile powder, 1 teaspoon EACH thyme, salt, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon powdered bay, 1/4 teaspoon allspice.
- Add 1 teaspoon liquid smoke.
- Make links.
- Version#2: Omit vinegar (and wine).
- For Seasoning Mixture use: 1 small onion, ground; 2 Tablespoons minced parsley; 2 cloves garlic, crushed; 1 Tablespoon chile powder; 1 teaspoon liquid smoke; 1/2 teaspoon EACH salt, thyme, cayenne, red pepper flakes; 1/4 teaspoon EACH black pepper, allspice and ground bayleaf PORTUGUESE CHOURIÇO: Use vinegar or vinegar and wine, as you wish.
- For Seasoning Mixture use: 1 Tablespoon paprika; 1 teaspoon EACH onion powder, salt, and liquid smoke; 6 cloves crushed garlic; 1/2 teaspoon EACH ground cumin and marjoram; 1/4 teaspoon EACH cayenne, ground coriander, and black pepper.
- PORTUGUESE LINGUISA: VERSION#1: Use cider vinegar instead of wine vinegar (and no wine).
- For Seasoning mixture, use 2-3 Tablespoons minced jalapeño, 2-3 cloves crushed garlic, 1 Tablespoon paprika, 1 teaspoon EACH salt, liquid smoke, and ground coriander; 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; pinch EACH of cloves and allspice.
- Version#2: Use red wine vinegar only.
- For Seasoning Mixture, use 1 Tablespoon paprika, 1 teaspoon EACH liquid smoke, onion powder, salt, crushed garlic, black pepper; 1/2 teaspoon EACH oregano and marjoram; 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander.
- GREEK LOUKANIKA: Omit vinegar and use 1/4 cup dry red wine in total.
- Seasoning Mix#1: 1 Tablespoon paprika, 1 teaspoon EACH onion powder, salt, thyme, marjoram; 4 cloves garlic, crushed; 1/2 teaspoon EACH cinnamon, cloves, allspice, grated orange rind; 1/4 teaspoon powdered bayleaf.
- Seasoning Mix#2: 1 small onion, minced and cooked in 1 Tablespoon olive oil; 2 cloves garlic, crushed; 1 teaspoon EACH salt, and ground coriander; 1/2 teaspoon EACH thyme, oregano and grated orange rind; 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Mix everything together well with your hands.
- Form into patties or"links".
- Cook in a closed indoor grill for about 7 minutes, or in a covered nonstick skillet over medium heat (either one greased with a little olive or toasted sesame oil) for about 5 minutes per side.
- Chill, then wrap well and refrigerate for up to one week, or freeze.
- Use in Mexican and Spanish recipes as is, or brown in a little olive oil, if you wish.