Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This quick, easy to make sauce lasts well if you keep it covered in the fridge. Brute recomends using this barbecue sauce on his favourite, chicken or ribs.
- 3⁄4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 4 drops louisianna hot sauce (optional)
- 1 lime rind, of shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- In a large pan saute the onions, shallots and garlic in butter until soft over low heat.
- Next add brown sugar, lime juice, mustard, worcestershire sauce, ginger and hot sauce.
- Blend well.
- Add shredded lime rind and tomatoe sauce.
- Bring mixture to a rapid boil then simmer over med-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add thyme leaves to sauce and simmer for 1 minutes.
- Brush barbeque sauce on chicken or ribs and enjoy.
This is a nice barbecue that everyone would like. It is sweet, but not overly so. CQ
With the barbecue season in full swing I was wanting to add something new in the way of barbecue sauces - the ingredient list had me know this one would add variety to those already in my collection - and it did! A really great BBQ sauce! Made as posted using the optional Louisiana hot sauce - loved the addition of the lime juice and zest. Thank you for another of your recipes that has been added to my collection. A recipenap for the Aus/NZ recipe swap #30.
I made this exactly as directed, using a Vidalia onion and La Preferida Louisiana hot sauce, and used it with a mixture of chicken drumsticks and thighs. This was an amazing barbecue sauce. I love what the lime juice and zest do for the flavor. Thanks so much for posting it, Gerry!